Yesterday's mail brought the newest edition - is that the correct term for magazine?. On the cover was Ellen and Portia's Wedding. A picture of the happy couple and a promise that more details would be covered inside the magazine. I've removed the cover. This is not something I want my children to see.
If I have to remove the cover of something in my own home, I don't think it needs to be there. Are we going to have to cancel our subscription?
.jpg)
8 comments:
I'm with you. I don't have a subscription, but I buy virtually every People magazine that comes out each Friday. The last two, however, I have not. I'm sick of Bragelina and their twins - so I didn't buy that one, nor did I buy the one you are referring to here. I'm such a trash news junkie that it would be hard for me to tell you to cancel the subscription though! Especially when you could be passing them along to a friend when you are done...ahem, ahem. :)
Sherri-
I will bring you this particular issue in the am at CHURCH. (If David finishes it) If not, I'll bring it to you when I see you for breakfast on the 2nd!!!
LOL that David reads People! I am a PEOPLE addict, too. Roy calls them my trash magazines. I just love a good People and US Weekly, though. I saw this particular issue at Harris Teeter today and I did not buy it. It's sick.
I did, however, by the Brangelina one. Their adoption/child bearing thing is kind of sweet. But they need to get MARRIED!!!!
I've already realized that the older our kids get, I will have to hide or stop buying those mags and stop watching E! Television:(
Again, laughing at the thought of David deep in though reading a riviting issue of People!!
To put it in perspective, there's a lot of things contained in that magazine that I don't want my kids reading or looking at, not just this week's cover story. Many of the things contained between the covers of those magazines is about sin of various "degrees", not to mention the pictures could give my girls a warped sense of what they're supposed to look like and how they're supposed to dress. I do, however, really enjoy reading it and I love the two stories they did on SCC and family after Maria's death. I buy it occasionally when I get a night out and don't leave it lying around.
I should clarify with all of my readers where we keep the People Magazines - in our (the master) bethroom! I'm a quick reader so I read it prior to putting it in its place. I'll leave it at that!
No need to hand it down to me then! I'll buy my own. He, He!
LOL, Sherri!
It's just a reminder of what type of world we live in. While we can tear off a magazine cover, sometimes our children witness things we cannot shelter them from. We need to be in prayer that the Lord will give us teachable moments and words to fill them because at some point, we will need to have a frank and open discussion with our children about all kinds of things that we really don't want to discuss!
I recently read an article about how much children know about sexuality at a young age and their learning it from their friends, not their parents. The article said the earlier you bring up discussions or answer chilren's questions then the easier it will be for them to come to you when they hear stuff from their friends, or see something on a magazine.
Of course, I am guilty as I have not had any kind of talks with my son yet!
Post a Comment