Monday, August 18, 2008

First Day of School

Today was Jere and Caroline's first day of school. In true organized Nancy fashion my camera would not work this morning. Apparently, I left it on overnight - and the battery died.

My sister-in-law, Julie, was headed to the same school so she let me borrow her camera for the day! Whew.

Anywho, after our nutritious breakfast of pigs in a blanket and fruit we headed to the school. Here is our family posing for a first day of school picture.

We took Jere to his class first. Second grade is pretty much drop them off and go! Here is Jere at his desk ready for a day of learning!

We then walked up the hill to the Kindergarten building.






So we waited a bit in the multipurpose room. Caroline saw her sweet friend Madeline there. These two have been friends since birth.


Went into Caroline's Junior Kindergarten class and David helped her put her things away. (You can see her lovely backpack on the right side of the photo)


The children sat on the floor and opened up the day with prayer. Soon they lined up and walked into another room so that the parents could spend the entire morning learning about Junior Kindergarten. And there was much to learn.


Today (and the above picture) confirmed that Caroline is exactly where she should be. I mean look at her - she's confident, ready and excited to be in school.
For all of the mom's I will close with the poem Caroline's teacher shared with us today (along with a sweet package- tissues, tea and cookies). Have I mentioned I love my children's teachers all ready?
"Summer's Gone"
Feet stuck to the floor from Popsicle drips,
planning and packing for family trips;
so many dishes in the sink-
must they use a clean glass for every drink?
I just can't take much more of this noise!
Why can't they ever pick up their toys?
The slamming door. The ringing phone -
if only I could be alone!
Then suddenly it's time for school;
no more beach or swimming pool.
Off they go, down the street,
sound of laughter and running feet.
A sigh of relief, but wait! What's this?
A tear in my eye as I blow them a kiss.
Oh, Lord, it seems to go so fast!
These special times just never last!
Teach me Father to value each day,
to live, to love, to laugh, to play.
She added to the note:
We praise God for the gift of our children and will do all that we can to care for them as you would have us do.
Who could ask for anything more?

I'm looking forward to hearing all about Jere's day - he'll be home soon!


5 comments:

Dawn said...

So glad everything went well- Caroline looks so sweet! Looking forward to catching up at breakfast tomorrow!
Dawn

Sherri said...

How sweet is that poem! I love it. The pictures are great too! So glad Caroline had a wonderful day and got to see Madeline.

Donna said...

that was a cute post, Nancy. I loved the pictures and the poem.

Unknown said...

Hi Nancy! It's about time I stop by the Blessings Blog. From the looks of the football field, my sister goes to the same school as your kids! Yesterday was her very first day of HIGH SCHOOL and we can't believe it! Your kids sure looked cute for their very first day of school!

Anonymous said...

Your pictures are great!!! I enjoyed breakfast (fabulous shrimp-n-grits!) and nails on Tues. (Thanks Hannah for sleeping.:-)) It's been a bitter-sweet week...I'm ready for summer again.