Sunday, December 28, 2008

Thoughts While Taking Down Christmas

Today I've been slowly taking down all of our Christmas decorations. Don't get me wrong - I love Christmas decorations and my home at Christmas, but after almost a month up I am ready for my house to get back to normal.

Tonight I took down the majority of ornaments on our tree. It hit me tonight that I must be getting old - some of these ornaments bring back such sweet memories that I had to swallow hard not to cry.

The crystal "Our First Christmas Together - 1998" - have we been married ten years/eleven Christmases? It doesn't seem like it at all, but when you do the math it is true! My memories of our lives together before children are wonderful - although as a disclaimer we were not married very long before Jere arrived!

The sweet handmade ornaments that Jere and Caroline have made through the years - with their chubby little hands - precious! The sweetest ones to me are the ornaments that include a picture of one of my children.

I have one from Jere's Toddler Class at WEE School (I'm one of those moms - sending their child way before (WAAY before) they are two; seriously sanity is a beautiful thing!). This particular ornament is an angel body made of a doily and the face is Jere's face at around 18 months. Oh it made me want to go back to when he was a toddler. Would I want to stay there? No, but for a moment I would go there! I thought he was a handful then - ha! If I only knew then how easy I had it. The one child who napped 3 hours in the afternoon - I could go on.

Caroline had a similar ornament - this one was another angel with silver wings! And the face on the angel is Caroline's sweet face at 2! Precious - I could have gone back to Caroline at two (perhaps during the night when she would be asleep- cause two's a rough age!), but just for a moment I would go there! I thought I was crazy busy then - ha! If I only knew how easy I had it. Both children napping for 3 hours in the afternoon!!

My current season is summed up in this post - some afternoons, especially when school is in session, I dream about the afternoons of the past when they only things on the schedule were naptime and playtime!

Maybe I need to come to the realization that whatever season or time I am in with my family is the best time!

4 comments:

Chelle said...

Well said, Nancy. Sometimes I get so caught up in reminiscing about the past or dreaming about the future that I have to remind myself that "now" is what matters and every season of life with a child is wonderful...even the "terrible twos"!!

Betsy said...

I feel the same way when I look at the ornaments on our tree! They all seem to have a special memory attached to them!

Hold on to every sweet moment you have with your children at this age. You will turn around and they will be all grown up!!

Jennifer said...

Nancy, you're funny...but I agree with you...nap time was always my favorite time of the day! :)

Couldn't you just eat those kids up when they still had that baby fat and chubby fingers? It is sad to think that they will never be like that again, but we all know there will be plenty of fun times ahead - like saying "I hate you" in high school, not wanting you around their friends, etc. Just kidding!

Every morning I walk into my living room and keep hoping someone has taken down my tree for me and put all the ornaments up...no go. I'm jealous you're already done!

Unknown said...

Gosh, Nance...you had me swallowing hard not to cry! I think you need another. You're also reminding me to put a pic of AP in an ornament. Thank you for the perspective!