Sunday, November 30, 2008

What a Difference a Year Makes!



Thanksgiving 2008 was quite possibly the best Thanksgiving ever! For the past 4 Thanksgiving's - our family has celebrated Thanksgiving at the Farm. My entire family comes, David's entire family, family member's entire families come - it's alot of people. We have a great time, eat great food and in the end have our Black Friday lists ready to go after scouring the sale papers!


Last year's Thanksgiving did not seem so bad - at the time. When we sat down to eat last year, David's sister Julie had had surgery to remove a benign brain tumor two days prior to Thanksgiving and while the surgery was successful she was days into a lengthy hospital stay. Thanksgiving still was full of wonderful food and time with family, but it was tempered by concern for Julie.

This year, Julie was there. Healthy. Happy. And, thank you Jesus, completely restored to her normal self.
So I had a side kick during food preparations. And a shopping side kick for the day after Thanksgiving.
The kids - all 16 of them? I have no idea how many kids were there, but they had a wonderful time playing outside and after lunch going on a hayride. You can see the entire group in the above picture.
After everyone left we were left - there were 6 adults left (David/me, Julie/Harvey, David's mom and dad) and 8 kids/teens. Julie talked my sister into leaving 3 of her 4. I promise my sister's children are the best behaved ever.
Not that I would know from personal experience, but David said they were great. The girls left before the crack of dawn (5:15 to be precise) to shop! Julie, Patsy (David's mom) and I had the best time shopping all over place. We hit Wal-Martz in Rock Hill and the S. Tryon area of Charlotte, Target, Garden Ridge (more on that in a later post), Talbots, Old Time Pottery, Toys R Us, and lunched at McAllisters.
The men did a great job of holding down the fort - literally!

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

Nancy, that is such a cool picture and so neat that all of you were able to get together! Can I bring my family next year? :)

I'm impressed that you were out by 5:15 the next morning...you're a true Black Friday shopper! And then to top it off with some good sweet tea from McAlisters...ahhh, now that's a good day!!

So glad you had a great Thanksgiving and that everyone was healthy and happy this year!

Kristi Smalley said...

Wow, you did have a big get-together for Thanksgiving. I'm glad it was a great day for all of you.

Now, I have to ask about this "Wal-Martz" thing. Was that a typo or is there an inside joke ther. The reason I was asking is b/c I know an old lady who always calls Wal-Mart, Wal-Martz or Wal-Marks

Donna said...

I had NO idea that Julie had a benign brain tumor last year. Wow! I know it was a special time for all of you this year.

I can't believe that y'all went shopping at 5:15! I was just telling Hannah that I can't think of one thing/sale that would get me out on Black Friday that early. What did you get?

Sherri said...

This picture makes me want to cry. I am soooo happy to see Julie healthy and still a vital, vibrant part of your family. God is so, so good!