
August and Robby White - July 2007 end of treatment!
August with Lee - 1 year later! (August and Robby also have a two year old daughter)Breast Cancer took on a new meaning for me when my dear friend August White was diagnosed with the deadly disease almost two years ago. I have watched from the sidelines as she battled her way through the treatment journey. When she asked me to join her team for the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer, I couldn’t say no. On October 25th & 26th, I plan to walk 26 miles to do my part in raising money to assist cancer patients today as well as to invest in the health of future generations. However, I have to personally raise $1800.00. After reading Augusts’ story below please prayerfully consider a donation to the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer so I can fulfill my wish of supporting my friend.
My site to make an online donations is:
http://info.avonfoundation.org/site/TR/Walk2008/Charlotte?px=4251469&pg=personal&fr_id=1670
During this season of thanksgiving, please know that I appreciate your consideration.
~August's Note~
Dear Friends and Family,
When I was diagnosed with breast cancer in December 2006, at age 32, I was in shock. I was sad and scared and uninformed about the disease. It has taken the past 2 years to undergo chemotherapy, radiation, mastectomy, hormonal therapy, and finally reconstruction. There was a lot of time to learn about breast cancer. There was time to be angry and afraid. There was time to be determined and hopeful. At the end of it all, I emerged a changed woman, healthy once again, with a new perspective on life, yet still at times reeling from my entire cancer experience. I am painfully aware that 1 in 8 women will face breast cancer in their lifetime. I pray that it will not be my loved ones. 40,460 women and 450 men will die of breast cancer this year. That means breast cancer deaths in a year would fill more than half of a large football stadium. Each of these people have children and family tragically forever affected by the disease. The impact is huge.
During my diagnosis, I was told repeatedly by my doctors that I was too young for breast cancer. In fact, now I know that breast cancer is the leading cause of cancer deaths in women ages 15 to 54. Young women tend to be diagnosed at a later stage with more advanced and aggressive disease. They also have many years to live in which caner can recur. Breast cancer is one of the worst cancers for recurring 5,10, even more than 15 years after treatment. It was a shock to me when I learned there is no magic number of years when I can achieve the security that I have finally "beaten" breast cancer. It can come back in bones, liver, lungs, and the brain. When breast cancer spreads to these organs, it is called metastasis. 40% of diagnosed breast cancer patients will have their cancer metastasize. At that point, you can no longer survive breast cancer. Doctors are prolonging the lives of patients with metastasized breast cancer but there is no cure. There are too many babies, toddlers, and young children growing up without their mothers. I do not want their names to be Alex or Lee. I agonize over this. We need to do something more about breast cancer!
As part of my healing emotionally from cancer, I am shifting my focus from fear for my own life to helping save others' lives. Breast cancer has become my passion. In March of this year, I was overwhelmed with a desire to participate in a walk for breast cancer. I thought about it for a while. Could I really do it? Can I exercise? I never have! Can I raise money? I never have! But finally I realized, God has brought me through cancer and many things I never thought I could do. I can do this too! With much consideration and prayer, I have signed up for the Avon 2 day Walk for Breast Cancer in Charlotte on October 25-26, 2008. 14 close friends and family have committed to do this with me and we have formed "Team Augie".
The walk is a 2 day event with my goal to walk 13.1 miles on Saturday and 13.1 miles on Sunday to achieve 26.2 miles total. To participate in the event, each walker must raise $1800.00. The Avon Breast Cancer Crusade will manage the money raised from these events. The mission of the Crusade is to advance access to care and find a cure for breast cancer. The money raised through Avon Walk will focus on medically underserved women, the underprivileged, the elderly, and the under or uninsured. The funds are awarded to medical research into possible causes,prevention, treatment, and cure of breast cancer, clinical care of breast cancer patients, support services for patients and their families; educational seminars, and early detection programs. One of the things that attracted me to the Crusade is that they are looking at the whole picture- cause, cure, care and support.
I am a bit hesitant to ask so many of you for support. You were all here for me during my treatment and I am forever grateful. You made such a difference to me. But this is not about me. This is a way to continue making a difference in the fight against breast cancer.
If everyone on Team Augie raises their goal of $1800.00 we will contribute over $27,000.00 to the Crusade! Advances are being made every day... breast cancer treatment is drastically different than it was even 5 years ago...and I know this money will make a difference. Us young survivors are told there will be a cure in our lifetime.
I am so blessed to have this amazing circle of family and friends in my life. Thank you for supporting me in any way that you can! I will send updates of the training and pictures from the walk so you too can be a part of Team Augie!
With my love and gratitude,
August White
.jpg)
2 comments:
Wow - what an amazing girl...and so beautiful too! I'm glad she has such good friends like you to support her.
What a sweet post, Nancy. She is blessed to have you in her life.
Post a Comment