Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Avon Walk for Breast Cancer

How do I begin to explain in words and pictures how meaningful of a weekend I had? I will attempt.
Friday afternoon I headed to the host hotel for the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer - the Westin. Yes, we were slumming, but you have to do what you have to do. After checking in for the Walk and getting my wristband I met up with our Team and we went to dinner.



August is wearing the grey long sleeve jacket.

We had a great dinner at Rock Bottom Brewery and headed back to the Westin and their heavenly beds. Sleep was short because we had a 4 am Wake Up call! We came downstairs to catch the shuttle to the starting line and this is what we saw

Yes, it was raining. Fortunately we were prepared and put on our rain slickers. Here we are boarding our tour bus to go to the starting line

Just because I was feeling crazy at 4:45 in the morning I took a picture of our bus driver. I think he's very patriotic.

We arrived at Frazier Park for breakfast and to wait until the Opening Ceremonies started. Breakfast took about 10 minutes. We waited in the rain until 6:30. At the time it seemed like along time. Here is our group waiting -


Right after this picture was taken, August led our team in the sweetest prayer time I have been a part of in a long time. She thanked God for the healing He had done in her life and for another year here on earth. She also prayed that the monies raised would be used wisely and for the researchers who are working for a cure. Of course, she prayed for safety on our walk, too. At the end of her prayer, there was not a dry eye among us.

The Opening Ceremony started at 6:30 - stretching, warm up - woo hoo. We were ready to go. They had a few local survivors share their stories.

We were off. In the rain. Thank you Lord for my rain slicker!

The organizers of the Walk did a great job on providing frequent water stations and portolets. If I can avoid a portolet I do. On Saturday, we walked right past Carolinas Medical Center. Our little group of 4 took a slight detour into the Lobby of CMC to use their facilities. And I have proof.

I highly recommend using alternative facilities if you ever have the chance.

We saw several interesting "fans" along the way.





All I'll say about the fans is that they had to fundraise to participate so I'm sure Breast Cancer has in some way touched their life. Sad, but true.


And here we are at Mile 13 - August is in the middle.



Saturday ended at Charlotte Country Day School for us. We then took a shuttle to the Wellness Village set up at Park Road Park. There we received the most heavenly massages ever - oh my word I was drooling (and asleep!!).


I'll share more pictures as I get them. I have several stories to share, but need the photos!










6 comments:

Sherri said...

What great pictures! I laughed when I saw all those ladies holding their coffee in the a.m. - I'm sure you had your diet Coke in a cup! So proud of you! You will no doubt remember this weekend the rest of your life. Way to go!

Donna said...

That looks like a fun weekend! I know you had a blast with your friends. Sorry it rained, but I know it didn't stop y'all from having fun together.
What's up with that one guy with the "free mammograms" on his face?! Gross!

Also, I agree about the CMC public potties. I used them when we were visiting a friend once and they were NA-STY!

Good job, Nancy!

Nancy said...

Donna, the guy you are referring to has that has the sign:

Free Mammograms
Place Breasts Here

Craziness. But like I said he had to fundraise to be a member of the crew. So I'm guessing breast cancer has impacted his life in some way.

Either that or he is a sicko.

Jennifer said...

Again, what a great thing to do for your friend AND have a great time doing it! It looks like y'all had a lot of fun!

Kristi Smalley said...

What a meaningful yet fun weekend you had. I'm glad you got to do that.

I rolled at the Free Mammogram guy. That is hilarious!

Melissa said...

I'm so proud of you! Great pictures.
I'm sure the guy with the mamogram hat used the it for Halloween too! Double duty!
I love the photo with the guy with the huge pink bra, uhh kept your distance didn't you. ;)