Yesterday was the last day of the 4 day week of sports camp for Jere and swimming lessons for Caroline. I had grand plans of taking Caroline to the mall with me to look for some shoes during the 2 hours between the end of swimming lessons and pickup time at camp.
Before leaving for swimming lessons I put an outfit in Caroline's pool bag. As we were getting ready to leave, my friend Sherri called and offered to take Caroline with her to the bookstore, Hallmark and Wal-Mart with her. Of course Caroline said she wanted to go with Miss Sherri. And this mom was rejoicing!!
Fast forward to the end of swimming lessons. Sherri and her sweet boys come into the pool area. I tell them I'll have Caroline ready quickly. I took Caroline into the bathroom/shower area and realize I did not pack a pair of undergarments for Caroline!
I look at the clock and realize it is 11:15 - T-minus 1 hour and 45 minutes until camp pick-up. I ask Caroline if she would like to put her clothes over her swimsuit - sort of like a cover-up. No, that won't work, she doesn't want her clothes to get wet. I really don't have time for this!
What about wearing your clothes *gasp* without underwear? Caroline looks at me kind of funny. No, that won't work. Desperate times call for desperate measures - I've got to go shoe shopping. I tell Caroline that sometimes mommy doesn't wear underwear (we use a different word, but I'm not typing it). Which is not exactly true, but I don't when I wear a swimsuit so there. Well- the deal is done! Caroline happily puts on her clothes and goes with Miss Sherri.
I had to tell Sherri what happened. She said not to worry, if Caroline complained she'd just buy her new underwear at Wal-Mart. She had a point - you can buy everything you need to eat, dress, decorate, to LIVE in Wal-Mart or, my personal favorite, Target.
And as the van door was sliding shut Sherri said she wondered how long it would be before Caroline told others about her mommy. Oh I am sure it is just a matter of time. I'm thinking by the end of the first week of Junior Kindergarten her teacher will learn this piece of information that is not even true about Caroline's mommy. I can see it now on the little "All about my mommy" sheet the children fill in for Mother's Day at School.
*My mom's name is _________.
*She is ___ years old.
*My favorite thing she cooks is ______.
*Our favorite thing to do together is ______.
*An interesting fact about my mother is ____.
All's well that ends well. I was able to go to White House/Black Market instead of the mall and found these flip flops in bronze and black - they were running a special,

purchased a birthday gift for my mother-in-law, and was able to meet Sherri and the children at McAllister's for lunch.
Tonight I relayed today's events to David. At first he just looked at me like he couldn't believe what I was saying. Then he just shook his head. I'm thinking this was a very proud father moment for him.
.jpg)
4 comments:
I LOVE IT!!!! I'm sure that the big secret will come out before long, and probably somewhere you'd least expect it. ;)
Caleb loves to go commando and since he is able to dress himself, will occasionally try to sneak it past me. The last time I asked him the rhetorical why would you go without underwear? His reply was that he just felt so much freer and cooler. Out of the mouths of babes.
That's funny! I bet Caroline felt like a big girl being "just like mommy"!!!!
Love the title! How appropriate.
Post a Comment