The 5K I am running is two weeks from tomorrow. Yikes! I've decided that after this 5K I'm done with running - I don't like it, it's not fun, I'm not seeing the incredible weight loss everyone describes, put a fork in me - I.AM.DONE.
Yesterday, Christy, Sherri, Dawn and I had lunch together celebrating Dawn's birthday. We are all running in Savannah and I made the announcement that this 5K is it for me. Once I cross it off of my list I am DONE WITH RUNNING!
Dawn - who is a professional runner and has run a 1/2 Marathon - just looked at me like I was crazy. On a beautiful day, didn't I just think "what a great day to go for a run"? - NOPE. Quite the opposite.
I might think "what a great day to go out for lunch" or "what a great day to clean a toilet". Oh I jest - I would never say "what a great day to clean a toilet".
Had I had a runner's high? I guess not, because I had to ask what a runners high was. Dawn looked at me - dead serious - and said, "Have you ever done crack?"
Umm No and I don't think you have either!!
So apparently I have never had a runner's high. And I really want it.
So when I relayed this story to David and got to the part about the runner's high - he determined that I had not experienced a runner's high because I was not running hard enough and long enough each time.
What - 30 minutes on the treadmill doesn't cut it?
I just love having a husband who speaks the truth in love!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
.jpg)
7 comments:
What is it about our husbands that their answer is always "because you're not doing it right?" :) I'm with you on this - goal: run a 5k before I turn 40. Two weeks I check it off the list, never to return again. I think runners made up the "runner's high" - it's a myth so when they are getting knee replacements in 10 years they have an excuse "I did it because of the high". Whatever!
I am sitting here giving you applause for running the 5K in two weeks. Oh, if only I would run on a regular basis. I haven't been very good in the exercise department lately and need to get in gear.
Can't wait to see photographs from your day when you run the 5K. What an accomplishment after it is over to be able to say you ran it!
Nancy, you are a nut! I'm with you though. I listen to people talk about running marathons and I can hardly imagine how that sounds like fun. But, I will say that when I did do some running it was much more fun when I ran with a group of girls. We would meet downtown Greenville and run though all the pretty parts of town. It did make things go faster and I honestly felt good after doing it. The treadmill has never provided me a high. :)
Good luck with your 5k...take lots of pics!
Nancy, I have to say that I have never experienced a runners high either . . . but right now I am dying to get back out there and take a nice, long, sweaty run!!! Just take a break and maybe then you'll want to start up again.
Amen and Amen. I'm w/ ya sistah! Loving ya and glad you posted. I was beginning to wonder where ole Fance was!
FINALLY! WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?!
I have recently started to get into running and I dread it daily. But, I feel so good when I get off that torture machine and I'm drenched in sweat. Is that the runner's high? The after feeling? I've come to find out that I am a treadmill runner. I tried to run down a main road the other day and I was too self-conscience!! I was so embarrassed!
Good luck with the 5K!
I used to be a runner and I only got the high when I ran outside. It took some time to work past the torture of running but then I got to the point where it was absolutely invigorating! I hated ot miss a day. Now, chocolate has the same effect,
Post a Comment