Saturday, March 21, 2009

Baseball is Back!

Today was Opening Day for baseball! Jere's team had their first game this afternoon. A couple of things I would like to point out:

1. When you yell at the top of your lungs all over the baseball park for your - I don't know - 12 year old? daughter?, when you do find her, please refrain from using profanity or at a minimum lower your voice. (This one was not me or anyone I know)

2. Do not to park your month old vehicle in a parking spot where a player -if able - could hit the ball over the fence! It came really close, but did not hit. Thank you Lord!


The funny part about this story is that early in the game the coach's wife said to me, "I've always wondered who parks their car in that parking lot. It's like they're asking for trouble." I sort of giggled and said, "I didn't even think about a ball hitting my car." (another car, yes)

And to myself recalled how I was so excited to be able to park in such a HUGE parking space where there was NO chance of anyone hitting me. HA!

Sure enough 3 innings later her son hit the ball clear over the fence and right beside my car. I know cars are just things, but I do believe I am expected to take good care of the things God has entrusted to me.
That and I will be driving it for the next 10-15 years.
3. BYOB - Bring Your Own Beverage. The ball park has changed concession companies and now uses Pepsi products - oh the horror! I normally pack a cooler for our family because water bottles and diet cokes cost $1 each. And we keep these in stock in our house! I'm not back into the swing of ball season. We sent Caroline over to the concession stand to get one water bottle (David) and one diet coke (me). When she came back she said "look what they gave me!"
I'm sorry but diet Pepsi/Pepsi zero or whatever is just not the same as Diet Coke.

4. Jere's coach is awesome! One of the things he does for the players is provide some incentives. Any player who catches a pop fly gets a hot dog after the game. And any player who hits an out of the park home run (over the fences) gets a Steak.




That is a hot dog in Jere's hand. His coach (pictured) had to buy a bunch of hot dogs today!

They played a great game beating the Nationals 21 to 14.
If you liked comment number 1 stay tuned. Baseball brings out some very interesting people! I will have stories.

5 comments:

Kelley Burch said...

very funny.

Donna said...

I would have loved to have heard that mom chew her daughter out! Haha! Sad, but funny.

Jere looks so happy with his coach and his hot dog. The hot dog looks yummy, too:)

Good post, Nancy. Good post!

Sherri said...

Hysterical! What a sweet coach - he's going to have to take out a loan by the end of the season. I can just picture your face when you were deprived of your Diet Coke - yikes! :)

Anonymous said...

Being the old timer of the Weddington ball fields, I should have warned you that Pepsi products are the only beverage served there. Ed the head umpire only likes Pepsi therefore that is all they serve. I have tried for two years to get them to switch but I have no pull! Sorry, from now on bring a cooler!!!

Julie

Kristi Smalley said...

Way to go, Jere, way to earn that hot dog!

Now Nancy, do we need to do blog intervention to stop you from using profanity and screaming at your daughter? We don't buy the "it was another lady" line LOL!