You know the type - every group has at least one of them. The perpetual prayer requester. This person feels completely incomplete if they do not personally request prayer anytime requests are taken. Well, we might be raising one of them.....
The other night Jere participated in the lower school Christmas program. On the way to the program we dropped Caroline off at a birthday party - Junior Kindergarten and Kindergarten do their program later on - so it was just David, Jere and yours truly.
David mentioned needing to get gas at some point in the evening, but he was no where near running out of gas - I don't even think the gas indicator thingie had come on. We pass a gas station and David says, "Do you think I should stop here or wait?" Knowing we had plenty of gas and were going to pass several gas stations that evening (and wanting to get to the school to get a good seat) I said that I would wait.
David jokingly said "Oh I hope we don't run out of gas!" - Knowing we had an ample supply of gas. Then he started doing the accelerating and then taking his foot off of the gas pedal like we were having some problems. We joked with Jere that we knew we could count on him if we needed help pushing the car.
Jere starts praying, "Lord, please help us to get to the school; help us not to run out of gas". I felt sort of bad for Jere - and that we were sort of playing around with this - what with his cry out to the Lord and all. I reminded him that Daddy had never run out of gas before and that he would take care of us. David even told him some airplane stories about gas.
We get to the school. Go to the performance - it was lovely. Go to the car. Stop to get gas on the way to the Mexican Restaurant. Start eating dinner and Jere starts telling us how his teacher prayed with him that we would be safe, have a trouble-free journey, enough gas...... Apparently he reported on this (and who knows what else) when he got to school for the performance. I think he may be one of those people you have in a Bible Study that always.have.to.have.a prayer request. I'm glad that he feels comfortable praying and requesting prayer, but we were just kidding!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
.jpg)
7 comments:
Did you share with Jere how you ran out of gas in my mom's old car and made David go back and get it???
Okay, Nancy. I'm shaking! THis is a good post. Yes, everybody knows a person who ALWAYS has a prayer request. Jere will be the one who has his hand raised in Sunday School praying for his friend's cousin who knows a lady who's husband is having surgery:)
Or, the girl who asked the class to pray for the family of Bernie Mac. Did I tell you that story?!
I'm glad you didn't run out of gas!
HILARIOUS!!!! I know exactly the type of person you are describing. I am rolling! Sweet Jere...he is just concerned about those around him.
Donna, I am laughing at your examples but can share an even better one. We had a pastor friend who pastored an older congregation in a small town. On Wednesday night/prayer meeting...they asked for prayer requests and an older gentleman raised his hand requesting prayer for his wife.....he said, "Yall need to really pray for my wife here....she has had a bad vaginal itch and infection for over two weeks now." CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT!
Nancy, I am so glad that you are back to the blogging world and more excited that the Reber Girls are planning a blog dinner in January. Does that mean I will actually get to meet you in person?
Have a blessed Christmas!
Love, Caroline
Nancy, very very funny! Poor Jere...you guys must have scared that poor boy to death.
Yes, I just love the perpetual prayer requester and the one upper prayer requester. Or the one who always says "unspoken" but you know they're dying for you to come up them after Bible study and ask them what it is.
Ok, laughing at the Bernie Mac prayer request. That is funny.
I am dead serious, the weekend Bernie Mac died, this girl in our SS Class raised her hand during prayer request time and asked that we pray for the family of Bernie Mac. I mean, we should, but it just struck me as funny.
Donna, I think of Bernie Mac EVERY TIME I'm in Sunday School. Seriously.
Post a Comment